Teaching Moments

Yes, I know it has been a little while since my last posting, but I do have an excuse---I have been a little busy teaching three classes this semester! (smile) Trust me, in the world of academia, there is just never enough time in a day. Life in academia can be fun and rewarding, but it takes up a lot of time.

Recently, I was lecturing on the topic of Chemical Equilibrium, an important concept that helps us understand chemical reactions. While discussing an example problem, we had to solve a quadratic equation. Immediately, the students started complaining, and to my surprise one student said, "Oh, God." Now, I have been teaching since the mid-1990s, and I have never had a student call on the Lord in class. I chuckled at their response, and told the class that now is a good time to review some algebra.

However, the responses from the students really have me concerned about why there is such a "fear" of mathematics. I am no math wiz. I remember being in the second grade trying to solve a math problem on the board, and I was absolutely terrified. The math just didn't make sense to me. In fact, while in high school, I avoided taking Calculus by simplying complaining to my high school counselor about it. I think she was so tired of me complaining, she simply transferred me to a statistics class. She never called my parents about this decision either. I regret that decision to this day. But, because of my own personal experiences, I do understand this "fear" from my students.

I finally took my first Calculus course as an undergraduate student, and yes I did struggle, but I worked hard and passed the class. I actually do like some aspects of mathematics, and it does connect to science. But, how do we help young people get over the fear of mathematics? How do we help them understand that being a "nerd" is a good thing? I previously told a group of students that nerds make money and that trying to "be cool" will only get you in trouble. (There were parents in the audience and they agreed with me.) We often push young people to do well in sports, but I honestly don't see the same effort to push them to do well in science and math. Now, I am not suggesting that everyone should major in science. What I am suggesting is that parents, teachers, and administrators all need to work effectively to push students to do their very best in all subjects--not just the subjects that they like or find easy. Thanks for reading.

Comments

  1. Great! I am glad that I read this. I encouraged my daughter to start a blog because she is a great writer. I have a hard time encouraging her in Mathematics as there are no math blogs for kids...I have researched Math camps and I couldn't find any for her age in our region. The one that I found was in Baltimore and I even considered traveling there as a family vacation for the week of the camp and all return together. Needless to say the camp was full. How do we encourage in this field when the resources are not around?? Go to her blog...www.camhasfun.blogspot.com.
    check her out! I try to encourage excellence in all things

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'