All Chemists Are Not Good Cooks

Earlier this week, I had a chance to visit with some wonderful friends and enjoy some really good food. Believe me, when I tell you the fried catfish was excellent. My good friend is a chemist like myself, but she is a fantastic cook. And I am truly jealous!

As I drove back from the gathering, I started asking myself what happened to me? Why am I so challenged in the kitchen? Don't get me wrong, I am not awful when it comes to cooking, but my skills are questionable. I have followed some of my dear friends around their kitchens trying to pick up some cooking tips, and I recall being yelled at for not "tasting my food" as I was cooking. That was a fun day! (smile)

People often remind me that I am a chemist, and that I should be able to cook. After all, when I am in the lab, I am following a "recipe" for my chemical reactions, so naturally I should be a good cook, right? All chemists are not good cooks!

However, for the rest of 2010, I am making a commitment to do better. Perhaps I have just gotten so lazy, that I would rather just microwave a Lean Cuisine or Stouffer's dinner than actually cook? (And yes, I do believe Stouffer's has the best frozen dinners.) Perhaps I should just follow a recipe and just try different things to get me started? If you have any tips for me, I would love to hear from you. Help this chemist become a better cook.

Comments

  1. Hey Sibrina - I don't profess to be a cooking whiz and am not one of those folks who can just throw meals together, but I can follow a recipe and have figured out a few things that seem to work for me. Like: season your meats before you cook. I've seen lots of recipes that only say "salt & pepper to taste" at the end. In my experience, that never works out well. And if you're making something like a soup, beans, peas or rice that calls for plain water, use a little chicken base. It's in the bouillion aisle in a jar and is much richer in taste than bouillion, but isn't as salty. In the fall & winter you can also use it to make homemade-ish, easy, economical, healthy soups & stews w/your own fresh veggies, pasta and meat. 1 teaspoon of base makes a cup of broth. Happy cooking and I miss you out west! www.Natashaj.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'