For Colored Girls

Back in 1992, I was an undergraduate chemistry major at Wayne State University (Detroit, MI), and I took a course entitled "Black Theatre: An Introduction." Honestly, I was trying to complete requirements for graduation, and I thought the course would be rather interesting. I couldn't have been more wrong!

I recall how much I enjoyed watching "Carmen Jones" and the excitement in class when we recognized a very young Pearl Bailey, Diane Carroll, and Harry Belafonte. We were equally excited to watch "A Raisin in the Sun" with Ruby Dee and Sidney Poitier. But, what I remember most about the course were two poets, namely Amiri Baraka (The Dutchman + The Slave) and Ntozake Shange (For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf).

This weekend, a group of friends from my book club got together and saw the movie "For Colored Girls." The movie was directed by Tyler Perry with top notch talent including, Kimberly Elise, Anika Noni Rose, Whoopi Goldberg, Kerry Washington, Loretta Devine, Thandie Newton, Tessa Thompson, Janet Jackson and Phylicia Rashad. Honestly, I was nervous about seeing the movie, because I was not sure how Tyler was going to stay true to Shange's work. Let me just say, the movie was quite good, and it is Tyler's best movie yet. I highly recommend it. These women did an amazing job in this movie.

After the movie, we sat down and had dinner to discuss the film, and decide on the next book to read. (I will be hosting the next book club meeting.) As we were being seated, our waiter asked us if the movie was about "hating men," which we chuckled and replied it was not about hating men. In fact, there are lessons for everyone in this movie. What lessons did I learn from the movie? Quite honestly, I was just reminded of the fact that women are strong human beings. (And no, I didn't need a movie to remind me of this.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'