Summer Reflection: Science, Music and Fun!

Yes, I know it is only mid-August, but this means that the summer vacations are coming to an end real soon. Believe me, I know it has gone by much too quickly. It is not over yet, so you can still relax. But, it is time for a little reflection. What have I accomplished professionally this summer? Actually, I was in the laboratory for most of the summer working with a really good student. We didn't accomplish everything we wanted, but I am pleased with the research progress. In addition, I am proud of another milestone this summer--I submitted a proposal to the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support my research efforts. I believe the proposal is strong and competitive. And, I think we are doing some really good and fun research. In addition, classes start in a couple of weeks, and I am getting myself ready for another productive academic year. Keep me in your prayers!

I have also a spent a little time this summer working on brief articles focused on African American contributions to science. This topic has been a "passionate hobby" of mine for many years. I do enjoy learning about the backgrounds of the scientists and telling their stories in a responsible and respectful way. I have recently published profiles on the Blackpast.org website, specifically focusing on Edwin R. Russell, Jasper Brown Jeffries, and Dr. Harold Delaney. These scientists all worked on the Manhattan Project during WWII. (A friend of mine wondered if these scientists actually thought about the ethics of developing the atomic bomb, which I do think is an interesting point. Honestly, I don't know if they considered the ethics at the time.) In addition, I have published profiles on other scientists including Dr. Saint Elmo Brady and Dr. Percy L. Julian. Diversity in science does matter and should be reflective of everyone's contributions. Why? We have diverse problems and you need diverse perspectives to solve them.

Now, let's chat about the nonscience fun stuff for the summer! Ok, clearly the highlight of my summer was attending the Jill Scott Summer Block Party. I attended the concert with two of my cousins that I absolutely adore. Back in the day, we attended our first concert in 1979 in Detroit, Michigan. The R&B group LTD (featuring Jeffrey Osborne) opened for The Jacksons (featuring Michael Jackson). Believe me, we were three very happy little girls on that day. So, we decided it was time for us to see another concert together. We plan to make this a new tradition. Not only did we see the headliner, Jill Scott (who's new CD is absolutely WONDERFUL), but the group Mint Condition, R&B crooner Anthony Hamilton, and D.J. Jazzy Jeff on the turntables. When Jill and Anthony sang their duet "So in Love," everyone was up dancing and singing. It was really a great concert.

And yes, I did the usual fun stuff like shopping at DSW, outlet malls, and keeping up with the Young & the Restless and the Unsung series on TVOne. So, my summer has been filled with science, music, and fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'