The Impact of Helping Others

During a recent church service, I was flipping through my bible and found the following passage:

"Keep a close watch on yourself and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right, and God will save you and those who hear you." (Tim 4:16)

I have read this passage several times since then, and I have reflected on what it means for my life. Not just professionally, but personally as well. As you know, I teach chemistry to undergraduate students and it is always a challenge to engage young people. As educators, we know that we cannot teach the way we were taught, so we have to find creative strategies to "reach" students in the classroom. I have adapted many teaching styles because there is no "one size fits all" model with learning. But, the passage above also helps me focus on the learning goals for class. What do I really want my students to know? That is the one question I try to keep in mind when I prepare a lesson plan.

Personally, this passage also reminds me of what we all should be doing--helping young people reach their full potential. One way we can do this is through mentoring and giving back. I am not talking about money, but giving some of your time to help others. My little sister is a mentor for a great organization called Girls Write Now (www.girlswritenow.org/gwn), which is the first organization that combines both mentoring and writing instruction to at-risk girls in New York. My sister is a wonderful freelance writer and has found a way to combine her passion for writing to help others. Imagine the impact if we all could spend a little time using our passions as a "vehicle" to help others. Honestly, I am still trying to figure out how I want to give back. But for the New Year, I do plan to find a way to give back to help my community.

In summary, I'm using the above passage to motivate myself to be more effective in the classroom. However, in addition to the bible, I often find motivation in the lyrics of some of my favorite songs. My take home message to you is to find ways to motivate yourself to help your community in 2012.

Peace,

Sibrina
"A grown woman making decisions and choices.." Jill Scott

Comments

  1. What a great blog. What I find most helpful about your challenge is the possibility of contributing in a way that enhances my passions. I think that people (meaning me) attach a sacrifice to their charitable efforts. How much more would I give if the very giving was an act of enjoyment, and not an altruistic, dutiful obligation. I accept your challenge. I will continue to the favorites of others but my quest is to find a way to give that inspires me to stand on a sopbox with my soul in my hands.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'