Why I Started Running

In April 2014, I decided to make some important changes in my life, and my first step on this new journey, I joined Black Girls Run! There are several running groups across the country, and I'm a member of both the Cleveland and Akron groups. Now, I have some new buddies too!

Why did I start running? Because it is a great way to deal with stress and improve your health. (Plus, my clothes were a little snug, and I needed to make some changes.) One thing I have learned from running is that the only limits that I have are the ones that I place on myself. Since April, I have made some important milestones. I never dreamed that I could run a mile without stopping, but I did it.  My best time so far is 12 min. I completed a 5K in 48 minutes. Yes, this may be slow to some folks, but I am not concerned about the time. All I care about is finishing. That's all that matters. I must admit that I love walking and running outdoors.

Hitting the pavement also gives you the time to think about what is really important in life. One very important lesson I learned so far this year is that you have to pursue your passions. You are given one life and you have to make the most of it. Do what you love and do it with conviction! And don't compare yourself to other people. Everyone is blessed with unique talents and gifts. Just make sure you use your talents and gifts to pursue your passions.

One other important factor about running--it is free! Lace up your favorite sneakers and run in your neighborhood or a nearby park. Make sure your sneakers are properly fitted from a running store because you don't to injure yourself. Since the month of April, I have walked/jogged 94.8 miles. I am on pace to hit 100 miles this coming week. My challenge to you is to get off the couch and improve your health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'