Walking in My Purpose

I began 2015 with a new journey--walking in my purpose! I accepted the position as Director of Education at The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in my hometown of Detroit, Michigan. In this role, I will focus on science education (and social studies) programming for K-12 audiences.  I am actually applying my training and background as a PhD inorganic chemist to African American history and culture. For years, I was too afraid to admit what I really wanted to do for the rest of my life, but I am no longer afraid to walk in my truth anymore.

Being a scientist has allowed me to pursue some amazing opportunities, including working as writer and editor and most recently a college professor. Every professional position I have held has prepared me for this current opportunity. Yes, I am an inorganic chemist working in a museum! The work I am doing now is truly in my spirit and I am continuing the legacy of my late grandmother, Geraldine Gray. My Grandma Geri was a teacher and educator in the City of Detroit. In the 1960s and 1970s, she gave numerous Black history presentations focused on African American inventors. Furthermore, I most recently discovered while going through some of her papers that in the early 1960s, she was trying to pursue a career as an X-ray technician. Like many woman of her time, my grandmother dropped out of school to marry and raise a family. She later returned to school to complete her high school education and worked as a domestic. A letter of recommendation (dated February 28, 1963) from her biology teacher reads in part, "Geraldine shows strongly the qualities I feel people need for scientific work--she has, I feel a great concern for humanity of what she can do, and has shown the highest level of integrity." Thus, I am continuing my grandmother's legacy because I am pursing a career in science and African American history.

I recently had an opportunity to talk with students majoring in museum studies at Wayne State University and University of Detroit-Mercy about my career path. I am a true advocate of getting more young people interested in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields. However, my constant message to young people is to identify your passions and walk in your purpose. Once you have identified your passions, everything will fall right into place.

Sibrina N. Collins, PhD
Chemist and STEM Historian

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new position! Best of luck!
    -Kyle Grice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'