STEM-ing Anniversary in Detroit

This has been an amazing second year as the Executive Director of LTU's Marburger STEM Center located in Southfield, Michigan. There are so many proud STEM-ing moments and milestones working with great LTU colleagues this year. I just wanted to share a few fun highlights for the second year.

Published Book Chapters
I authored two book chapters during my second year! The first book chapter is entitled, "Critical Mass Takes Courage: Diversity in the Chemical Sciences," which was published in Diversity in the Scientific Community Volume 2: Perspectives and Exemplary Programs (ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 1256). This book chapter is a collection of selected stories about some amazing chemists including a tribute to my friend and colleague, the late Dr. Melissa Schultz. 

Secondly, I authored a chapter entitled "Life After Tenure Denial in Academia: A Success Story," in the forth coming book African American Women Chemists in the Modern Era authored by Jeannette Brown. I am truly honored to be included in this book with other remarkable Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Divas. I was also thrilled when Jeannette asked me to write the preface for the book. Honestly, an important lesson that I have learned about my chemistry journey is that when a door is closed to you, simply find another door, or build your own door for a successful career pathway. Smooth seas don't make for skillful sailors. (African Proverb)

Alumni Speaker: Wayne State University and The Ohio State University. In February, I had the privilege to give a presentation entitled "African American Contributions to STEM+C" at both Wayne State University (WSU) and The Ohio State University (OSU). This was a real treat for me to be able to talk with current chemistry majors and members of the NOBCChE (National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Chemists and Chemical Engineers) Student Chapters. I was a member of both chapters as an undergraduate and graduate student, which provided a supportive community for me as I navigated the STEM space. Before leaving OSU after my talk, I had to go back and visit my former laboratory space in Evans Laboratory, which is now being renovated on campus. I spent 5 years, 9 months and one day in the lab working towards my dissertation. The lab space no longer has solvent stills or Schlenk lines, but I do have the memories of research progress.

Black Panther, Vibranium and the Periodic Table
I never would have imagined that sitting in the theater with two cousins watching the movie Black Panther, would have led to us publishing a short paper entitled "Black Panther, Vibranium and the Periodic Table," in the Journal of Chemical Education  and generating so much buzz on social media! As I watched this amazing movie, I asked myself a simple question--if vibranium really existed, where would it fit in the periodic table? I simply cannot shutoff my "chemistry brain." The question remained stuck in my head, so I had no choice but to try to answer this question. I asked my LTU colleague, Professor LaVetta Appleby if she would ask this question on her next exam for her chemistry courses, which she did. The student engagement with this question was just wonderful! This led us to submit a letter to the J. Chem. Educ, where is was accepted for publication. We were so excited to be interviewed by reporters from  Chemical and Engineering News, Wired and the M2 TechCast Podcast, with LTU colleague, Matt Roush and Mike Brennan. What's next for us? We want to bring Wakanda to K-12 classrooms!

These are just a few highlights for my second year. This has been an amazing journey, and I look forward to making more progress while STEM-ing in Detroit!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'