OMG: A Night with Jill Scott and Maxwell

The lights finally went dark at Quicken Loans Arena (The Q) in Cleveland, Ohio and the audience started screaming. Jill Scott came to the stage wearing retro Gazelle glasses, a black top and pants with a belt buckle that simply reads "Jill." Her backup singers were three brothers known as "The Pipes" that were dressed in all black and wearing retro shell toe Adidas shoes and Gazelle glasses. The band started playing "Gimme" and Jill started singing. Jilly from Philly sang many of my favorites including "Cross My Mind" and ended her set with "Golden." Let me tell you--Jill puts on a show!

Now, Maxwell kept us waiting for about an hour. My friends and I were not too happy about that. But, all was completely forgiven when he hit the stage. Dressed in a vintage gray suit that the late Sam Cooke would certainly wear, he started singing "Sumthin, Sumthin." (He performed the slower version too.) Yes, all was forgiven. He finally sang "Bad Habits," which has to be one of my new favorites. Then he took us back with "Reunion" and ..."Til The Cops Come knockin." Let me tell you, when he sang "Don't Say Goodnight," by the Isley Brothers, I was truly speechless. It is not easy to sing an Isley Brother song, but he did it really well. Maxwell ended his show with "Pretty Wings," and I loved every minute of it. If you have a chance to see Jill and Maxwell in concert, I encourage you to check them out. If you love good R&B music as much as I do, you will enjoy this show.

Comments

  1. I saw Maxwell at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. He gave a great show,but there were sound issues. I wish he would have come to the Fox.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'