The Big Three Blues

Do you remember your first car? My first car was a burgundy-red 1979 Chevy Impala with a 350 engine. It was a big automobile and I literally had to sit on a pillow to see over the dashboard when I drove the car. My father purchased the car from a fire chief in Canton, Michigan for himself and later gave it to me when I was ready to drive. It was a little rusty and had faded yellow letters on the driver side door that read “Canton Michigan Fire Department.” Let me tell you, this car was a REAL “man magnet” for me because I received a lot of attention from some really cute young men as I drove around town. At that time, Seattle-based rapper Sir Mix-a-Lot had a hit song called “My Hooptie,” which was the appropriate song for that car! If I hit a bump, the entire car would vibrate because it badly needed a front-end alignment. Ah, yes I did love my hooptie.

But, the point is when everyone thinks about their first car, it is a great time in our lives to reflect on our youth and new found independence. Driving to the shopping mall for the first time without my parents—that was true independence. Now, fast forward to 2009 and everybody should be upset over what is currently going on with the Big Three.

Washington Post columnist, Eugene Robinson recently wrote an editorial entitled “Detroit Dissonance,” focusing on how the CEOs of the Big Three are being treated compared to the CEOs of Wall Street. Robinson writes, “The president is telling Detroit to shape up or die while at the same time politely asking Wall Street, whose recklessness and greed caused this economic crisis, if it would be so kind as to accept another heaping of taxpayer funds.”

Detroit News columnist, Daniel Howes’ editorial “Meddling with GM? Not us, feds say,” writes, “Don’t know what is more laughable: federal officials, including a president of the United States who say they don’t want to run General Motors Corp, but do. Or a GM CEO who denies altering business decisions under political duress but does.”

Personally, I agree with the comments of both Robinson and Howe, but I really don’t think the current administration had much choice. The auto workers on the assembly line are the heart and soul of the Big Three and are always the ones to be treated unfairly. Can you say concessions??? But, I do think there is another perspective on this matter. When you borrow money from somebody, there are always strings attached. My point is that shouldn’t ANY company that receives taxpayer bailout money be required to take “advice” or “words of wisdom” from those that provide that money?

It is absolutely troubling to see the auto industry struggling. However, I am convinced with the right leadership from the experts, it will come back stronger. I really think the Big Three should consider selling two types of vehicles—vintage cars and more fuel efficient cars. Do you realize how many people would flock to the dealership if they could purchase a brand new replica of their very first car? Trust me, right now I really do want to take another drive in my 1979 Impala. Hey, I may not need the pillow this time.

Comments

  1. Thinking about my first car (a 1986 Toyota Tempo in 1993) only brings up memories of sitting on the side of the road everytime the head gasket blew. (There's a reason they discontinued them quickly!) But, there was that sweet sound of silence after I got the crack in the manifold fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'