What Michael Means to Me

Let me be the first to say that I used to love me some MJ! When his album “Off the Wall” dropped in 1979, my mother purchased it for me and I wore it out on my record player. That is one of my favorite albums of all time.

During that same year, I had a chance to see the Jackson’s perform live in concert along with my favorite cousins who loved MJ too. The opening act for the concert was the one and only Jeffery Osbourne and L.T.D. Trust me, Mr. Osbourne had a massive voice that seemed to “float” across the packed Cobo Arena in Detroit, Michigan. He really didn’t need a microphone. Eventually, the Jackson’s stepped out on stage with their bright silver suits and put on a show! I remember screaming at the top of my lungs hoping Michael would hear me. That was truly one of the best concerts I attended in my life.

Like many others, I was shocked about his untimely death at the age of 50. It really didn’t seem real. The media is going absolutely crazy about his passing, and we all know that his funeral is going to be a complete circus. But, regardless of your personal feelings about the “King of Pop,” his impact on the music industry is absolutely undeniable---his album “Thriller” sold 50 million copies! He has sold 750 million albums. Nobody has done that. Moreover, the video for “Thriller” set the standard for today’s countless artists.

There will be plenty of opportunity to discuss the many aspects of his life, but at this time we should celebrate him. I am glad BET honored him and as a couple of friends stated to me, BET “deserves an A for effort” for celebrating him during the annual BET Awards this past weekend. Honestly, Michael’s musical legacy means different things to everyone. What does Michael mean to me? There isn’t just one particular thing. But, his music made me one happy kid dancing in my parent’s basement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'