Celebrating African American Men

I wanted to take the time with this blog entry to celebrate our Black men. I know we are facing enormous challenges in our communities, but our Black men are passing on knowledge and helping the next generation “be all that they can be.” I recently chatted with three professional Black men representing various fields such as architecture, academia and the military. I specifically wanted to know what they learned from their fathers, grandfathers, and other male role models on what it really means to be a responsible man. More importantly, I wanted to know what they are doing to help the next generation of young Black males. Brothers, this one is for you! Here are some comments from the conversation:

William (Military)
“Well, I must say that I never really knew my father. I met him once. Can you imagine the effect that had on me? My grandfather died before I was born. However, I did have uncles! Some taught me about the value of having money, and some played a disciplinary role in my life, while others did give me lectures on being a man. I am an uncle of at least 25 nieces and nephews. I give back by helping those that I can. I can’t support all of them, but I do help when I can. I also mentor one in particular, my eight-year old nephew. I mentor him on school, sports, his future, girls, and the importance of treating his mother with respect. I often talk to my cousins as well. Specifically, I use failures as an example of what not to do.”

David (College Professor)
“My father never specified Black manhood, but always expressed his thoughts on manhood. Probably the primary emphasis was ownership and accountability to family. I was blessed growing up to be surrounded by middle class Black families with fathers present. My main activities are through boy scouting with my three boys. I think the main issue for the Black community is presence. But we are so dispersed now, that it’s difficult to do. We battle media images every day.”

Kevin (Architect)
“Actually, it is an unwritten tradition in my family that as the young men grow up, the older men are obligated to show them the ropes of being a man in our family. Sadly, this sometimes includes good and bad habits. I am one of the few that have gone to college, started a career, and yet still returns home on a regular basis. I am the voice of reason in regards to going to college and the fun and pitfalls one will experience. The older guys always try to clown me about my so called "big city style and small town values.” I tell the younger men—and women—that that you can leave your roots and be successful as long as you do not forget that the elders do have jewels of knowledge to give you. They did not get to be "old" by accident!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'