Hair Care and Exercise

Let me be honest with you—I absolutely hate to exercise. But, I am truly proud to say that I have committed myself to exercising at least three times a week. I believe the only reason I am motivated to do this is because I listen to my iPod while riding my exercise bike. The 30 minutes seems to go by much faster when I listen to some really good music and I do work up a sweat. However, the sweating has now created some challenges for me to maintain my chemically treated hair.

I recently decided to do an internet search to find some tools and tips for maintaining my hair in between my visits to the salon. To my surprise, there were many links on this very subject. Last year, there was a survey conducted at Wake Forest Medical School that targeted over 100 African American women specifically asking about their exercise habits. Half the respondents considered changing their hairstyles so they could exercise, so hair care is a real factor.

Back in the 1990s, researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health focused on similar efforts for African American women. As a result, an easy to read pamphlet was developed offering suggestions on hair care and exercise. Check out this valuable resource for yourself.

(www.hsph.harvard.edu/sisterstogether/move.html)

Personally, I believe that hair care is only one factor. One of the real challenges is that life just seems to get in the way. We are so busy with work, school, church activities, and taking care of our families, we don’t take out time for ourselves. African American women can wear so many different kinds of hairstyles from relaxed hair, natural hair, and braids. However, hair should not be a factor when it comes to your health. I have spoken to my beautician seeking advice on the right things I should be doing for me. And my sister is encouraging me to go natural. I am giving it some thought. But, right now, I am not interested in doing a “comb over” at this point in my life. Ladies, now I challenge you to develop a solid plan for yourself!

Comments

  1. Sibrina get your fro on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled for many years with the idea of working out and sweating my hair out. I didn't want to mess my hair up. However, at some point, I realized that it was gonna have to be me or my hair. I was gonna have to workout to get healthy, or I was gonna continue to be overweight with a fly hair style. I chose briads and working out; and I have not looked back. I've lost over 60lbs! I look good and more importantly I feel good.

    I see so many black women that are beyond obese walking around with a tight do...that's not hot, sexy, cute, or smart. This is not to say that you should not want to keep your hair looking nice, but you can't let your hair rule your life. A little sweat ain't never hurt nobody.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'