New York Summer Vacation

My recent trip to New York City started off a little frustrating with one particular airline that shall remain nameless. Several travel delays along with a very uncomfortable landing was not a pleasant experience. Moreover, my taxi driver appeared to be very upset before I even got in the car, but I must admit I found it quite amusing when he gave an obscene gesture to a nearby taxi driver that jumped in front him. By the time I reached my sisters place, I was really tired but smiling. You just have to love NY!

I always enjoy spending time with my sister and brother-in-law in NY and as usual they both kept me laughing during my stay. But, one highlight of my trip was seeing the one and only Mr. Chico DeBarge perform at a local NY spot. Trust me, the brother still can sing.

The opening act was a new artist named Rachel Brown who is clearly a throw back to the 1990s. Remember Karen White or Meli'sa Morgan with the big hair? Well, that’s the sound of Rachel Brown. She wasn’t bad, but like everyone else in the house, we wanted to see Chico! While we waited for him, the DJ was spinning the real R&B songs from Teena Maria, Michael Jackson, and Rufus featuring Chaka Khan. Eventually, Chico emerged on stage to screaming fans wearing a white shirt, black tie and matching pants. Yes, the brother is still quite handsome.

Chico started off by singing “I Like It” and we started jamming. He played the piano and sang many of his old hits such as “Long Time No See” and “Virgin.” Chico also said a few things to the ladies that made my mouth fall open! He even did his own cover of “Shake Your Body” as a tribute to the late Michael Jackson. But, he brought the house down with “No Guarantee” and had fellow R&B crooner Joe on stage to perform with him. I loved absolutely every single minute of it.

In addition to seeing Chico DeBarge, my sister and I did a little shopping which I love to do when I come to NY. And yes, I did stop by DSW while I was there. But, honestly, what I enjoy most about NY is spending time with my family and trying desperately to get my sister to make her apple pie, which she refused to do. But, she did make my aunt’s macaroni and cheese. So, my trip to NY ended quite nicely.

Comments

  1. New York and Chico DeBarge, what more could a girl want!?!

    I hope to see you at the next book club meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'