Will the Real Motor City Please Stand Up?

Let me begin by saying that I love Detroit, Michigan. I truly do. There are many things about this place to love. You already know the history of Motown Records, which is celebrating the 50th anniversary this year. Everybody has a favorite Motown artist or song they love. And, yes Motown records created jobs for young people in the community. (I know that was 50 years ago, but I’m trying to make a point here.) Let’s not forget that the Big Three has kept the economy going and helped create the Black middle class. There are tons of auto factories all over the world, so if I hear another person say the federal government is bailing out Detroit, I will scream. Recognize that the Big Three are global, not local. Moreover, the stadiums for the Detroit Lions and Detroit Tigers are top notch, and the Fox Theatre is doing big things showcasing today’s top artists.

Now, although I truly do love this city, honestly, I am embarrassed by some of the recent nonsense. This city has taken a national hit in the media over the last year dealing with political corruption and now the Detroit Public Schools (DPS) are facing challenges. In fact, the current U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan intends to focus his attention on DPS. Now, I do think some of the media attention Detroit has received lately has been over the top at times. But when there is a scandal, it will be reported. When Detroit suffers, the entire state of Michigan suffers. Trust me it is time for a serious makeover! Can you imagine a reality show similar to “What Not to Wear,” that focuses instead on political makeovers? There would be a waiting list of cities for that opportunity.

Today, the residents of this blue collar town are heading to the polls for their primary to determine the top candidates for the election in November. There are 168 candidates running for Detroit City Council, but only the top 18 will be placed on the ballot in November. Moreover, there are six candidates running for mayor. Most are predicting a low voter turnout, but I truly hope younger residents hurry up and run to the polls so their voices can be heard. I tagged along with my mother while she voted, and the turnout was indeed low. New leadership is desperately needed to help this city. Someone recently told me that Detroit was the “Black Mecca” back in the 1980s. Growing up here, I never thought of Detroit in that way. It was just my hometown. However, I think with the right leadership, my Motown can do big things once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Another Beautician

Unsung Chemist: Dr. Booker T. W. White (1907 - 1990)

A New Place Called 'Better'